Is your heating bill higher than you want it to be? Here are five easy-to-do tips you should always being doing in the winter months that may save you as much as 10-15% off your heating bill:
- When you come home to a cold house, realize that cranking the heat up to a high temperature does NOT make the house heat up any more quickly. Just set the thermostat to a comfortable temperature. The heat will come.
- A furnace tune-up can save 3-10 % on your heating bill. In fact, keeping your furnace filter clean during winter months could save you up to 5% on your heating costs. Check your furnace filter monthly and change it if it’s dirty.
- Keep the supply and return air vents clear of furniture and appliances so the furnace can work more efficiently.
- Avoid heating areas that are not insulated such as a garage, crawlspace, attic or storage sheds.
- Finally, when you are home, put on a sweater and lower your thermostat by 2 degrees. You could save as much as 4% on your heating bill!