Here are seven home repairs and improvements that you can; with a little planning, a well-thought-out shopping list, and a determined effort; complete in one weekend and that will save you money on your energy bills the rest of the year and beyond.
- Check doors for proper insulation. Place your hand against a door from the inside. If it is a different temperature (warmer or colder, depending on the outside climate) than the inside walls, it might be time to install a door that is better insulated.
- Caulk and weatherstrip doors and windows that leak air.
- Caulk and seal air leaks where plumbing, ducting, or electrical wiring comes through walls, floors, ceilings and soffits over cabinets.
- Repair dripping hot water taps immediately.
- Install motion sensors on external lights.
- Install a programmable thermostat to manage your heating and cooling systems so that these systems are not working at full capacity when you aren’t home. The thermostat can be set to cool or warm the house before you arrive home. Or turn the systems down at night when you are sleeping.
- Check your dryer vent to make sure it is not blocked. This will not only save energy but could prevent a fire.